Thursday 10 May 2012

Leadercast #1

Recently took in the Chick-fil-A Leadercast with a number of guest speakers.  Here are a few thoughts on one speaker (more will be coming)...

ANDY STANLEY (author, pastor, North Point Ministries)
  • By providence and God's grace, I am in leadership
  • The goal of leadership is not to eradicate uncertainty, but rather to navigate it.
  • Uncertainty is not an indication of poor leadership, but underscores the need for it.
  • Good book on when family and work collide (family better win).
Three questions to ask when faced with choices:
  • What would my replacement do?
    • It's okay for a family to move around with an old couch that has memories, leaders cannot do the same with the old "couches" of what we did in the past.
    • If we were removed - what would a new CEO do?  
    • Bring objectivity to the decision.
  • What would a great leader do?
    • We don't need bigger - we need better!  
    • There's always another path - another question.
    • Level 5 leadership - self-less, not in it for me, best for the company
  • What story do I want to tell? 
    • Every decision will eventually be a story I tell.
    • Legacy - don't choose anything that makes you a liar for life.
    • Make decisions that create the story you are proud to tell.
    • Money comes and goes, your story is forever.

I listed four things I would focus on if I was a new CEO to BCOS and walked in the door today knowing everything I now know.  So what is stopping me now?  Comfort, fear, indecision, time, empowerment, money?


Every decision will eventually become a story I tell 6 months from now.  That is so true.  Every decision is a story I tell 6 minutes from now when I am back in the office or go home.  It is important that I live my life so there are parts of the story I do not want to leave out.  Make the story you are proud to tell.  Make the story that brings honor - and not to myself.

7 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Gord. I like the thought of asking the question... "If I was new and just taking over my position... what would I change?"

    We need to be constantly willing to "prune" if you will the dead branches of our status quo, so that God has room to cause, richer fruit to grow!

    Richard

    Great thoughts! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear what four changes you would recommend someone else do if they were to take over your position. I am guilty of also thinking of recommendations for the "next guy" when I could be doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the line on what to do when work and family collide . . .

    We can sometimes harbor guilt in that area wanting to please both sides.

    Family does need to win :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the humility Gord. To God all honour and glory! Keep blogging. Wow another blogger in our midst!!! Yay for HCS writers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The goal of leadership is not to eradicate uncertainty, but rather to navigate it." This quote reminded me of Hebrew 11:1 "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Our faith parts uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your thoughts, Gord - I also liked the idea of what would a new CEO do.. a potent line of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gord, first of many posts I hope! Welcome to a growing digital voice. You have worn, and continue to wear, many leadership hats...so it is with clean ears that I listen keenly to your comments & take-a-ways on leadership. The 'old couch' metaphor is interesting as today's journeying landscape is undergoing such fundamental change. The web - it's instant communication and wealth of information - continues to define/mould/shape/reform/revolutionize today's experience. We all, specifically in the realm of education, to remain current/relevant/engaging, must continue to bring the best aspects of our 'old couch', but also must be willing to update the fabric or add new throw pillows. By the best of our 'old couch' I mean what makes us who we are - our core - our character, gifts, personality, but must augment these with the current tools available (read required) for today's experience.
    I also loved your call/reminder to vocational integrity - one's decisions made must be congruent with who one is. This agreement drives/supports/promotes/produces character.
    Thanks for taking up the e-pen and for sharing your thoughts! Paul

    ReplyDelete